Eye drops 0.25%, 0.5%
Once daily preparations:
- Timoptol-LA® (Amber 2) Timolol maleate ophthalmic gel-forming solution 0.25%, 0.5%
- Tiopex® (Amber 2) timolol maleate 0.1% eye gel in unit doses.
- The once daily preparations are Consultant initiation only
- Prescribers are reminded that the Timoptol-LA® and Tiopex® are to be used once daily
- There is no evidence to show that 0.5% timolol is any more effective than 0.25%. The lower strength may minimise the risk of systemic side effects.
- Systemic absorption may follow topical application; therefore eye drops containing a beta-blocker are contra-indicated in patients with bradycardia, heart block or uncontrolled heart failure.
- CSM advice: The CSM has advised that beta-blockers, even those with apparent cardio-selectivity, should not be used in patients with asthma or obstructive airways disease, unless no alternative treatment is available. In such cases the risk of inducing bronchospasm should be appreciated and appropriate precautions taken.
- Beta-blocker eye drops should be avoided in patients receiving oral verapamil.